Every end is also a beginning…
Q: What’s one of the best times for figuring out who you are and what you truly want?
A: Right after a chapter of your life comes to an end.
Just like changes of the seasons, we are constantly evolving and growing – becoming better or bitter by these changes that occur in our lives. The choice is ultimately ours.
The fact is every chapter in life comes to an end at some time. It’s important to acknowledge and accept this – to walk forward and carry on adaptively when something has reached its conclusion, whether forced or chosen.
Closing the door, turning the page, moving on, etc., it doesn’t matter what you call it. What matters is that you leave the past in the past so you can make the best of the life that’s still available to be lived. This ending you’ve experienced is not ‘the end’ of your life, it’s your life beginning in a new way. It’s a point in your story where one chapter transitions into the next. This isn’t always easy, particularly when grieving is involved. Grieving is a natural and necessary step of your onward journey.
Below I have listed some ideas that may help.
The world of Josie Thomson is changing too – big time!
There are a number of exciting new developments that I’d love to share and/or continue to share with you. As part of these changes, I’m keen to ensure you receive only those offerings that are most valuable and useful to you. You can help me.
That’s why next week you will receive another email from me requesting your help. So that you continue to receive only those offerings I have that are of most value and usefulness to you, I will ask for 1 minute of your time to confirm your preferences. In return for your assistance and continuing support, I will gift you an exclusive offer that I know you will love. So I hope you will join me by jumping on board and continue to grow and enjoy this crazy wild ride called ‘life’ with me.
For now, here are some ideas to support and encourage you in embracing and commencing a new chapter with strength, conviction, and grace:
- When life doesn’t go to plan, breathe and remember that life’s richness and greatest gifts often come from its unpredictability.
- Sometimes you have to accept the fact that things will never go back to how they used to be, and that this ending is also a new beginning – a fresh start.
- One of the most peaceful mindsets begins the moment you finally find the courage to let go of what you can’t change. To be able to assert and accept: it is what it is. Accept it, learn from it and move forward. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done or what happened; what matters is what you choose to do and who you choose to become.
- The secret to moving ahead is to focus your energy not on fixing or fighting yesterday, but on creating and growing something new right now. Instead of focusing on resisting and rebelling against what you don’t want, give your focus and attention to what you do want, facing forward in life.
- Even if you have good reason to be angry and resentful about what happened, don’t. Acknowledge the pain and the hurt, and then channel your precious energy towards thoughts and actions that actually benefit your life today. (If you need some help with this one, reach out to me. I have a very powerful ‘freedom’ technique as part of my coaching services).
- Your world can be an entirely different place than the world you lived in just a few moments ago, once your attitude toward it changes. Remember: where focus goes, energy flows.
- The situation does not determine your response. YOU determine your response. You are not defined by what happened to you: you are defined by how you respond. Take a moment now to pause and remember who you truly are. Take time to reflect on the things that have real and lasting meaning in your life. (Knowing your values helps you make precise and confident decisions in life. If you would like a hand in defining your values, reach out and ask for a Values coaching session with me or one of my team).
- Life doesn’t owe you anything. You already have everything you need. But you do owe it to yourself (and our Creator) to make the best of the life you have been gifted – come what may. (If you haven’t already read it, my Enliven-U book is a wonderful resource for encouraging and reminding you how to embrace your life on your terms.)
- Don’t procrastinate. Don’t waste your time wishing for a ‘better’ starting point. Instead, make use of the real and present starting point you have, set your focus and get going. Habits can be tough to shift, but shift they can. With the right focus, repetition and positive re-enforcement massive change and transformation is possible.
(Check out my You Are Not Your Brain on demand webinar series with Dr Jeffrey M Schwartz).
- Be humble. Be teachable. The world is bigger than your view of it. There’s always room for a new idea, a new step… a new beginning. You may need to step back, waaaay back to widen the lens on your current perspective. Seek to improve rather than prove your position.
From my own experiences, the secret to a good life is to pay more attention to the beginnings than the endings. So many people say they want a new life, but then they take the new one they get for granted. Don’t do this to yourself. Don’t hold on to what’s no longer there. Don’t wait until your life is almost over to realise how priceless this present moment really is. The good life is here – it begins right now, when you stop wanting a different one.
And remember, there are a few little words that can release you from your past struggles and guide you forward. These words are: “I’m in the process of…”
Please leave a comment below and let me know which tips above resonate the most with you. Do you have any other ideas, quotes, tips or stories to share about turning an ending into a new beginning? I would love to hear from YOU.
Also, if you haven’t done so already, be sure to sign up for my free newsletter to receive new articles like this in your inbox each month.
Until next time, may your joys be many, may your ‘endings’ be swift and graceful, and may your beginnings help you see the unique gift you truly are in this world.
Events Coming Up in Brisbane:
On Saturday, 3rd September I will be co-leading an AWE walk (http://www.shamanicpathandpractice.com/awe-walks-with-josie–heather.html) exploring the theme of Relationships and Authentic Intimacy and Connection. If you are interested in transforming the nature of important relationships in your life, join me for a fun and insightful half day in one of the most beautiful nature parks in Brisbane.
As proud Ambassador for Childhood Cancer Support, I invite you to please come join me on Monday, 19th September for our annual Talk Like A Pirate Day fund raiser event. You will be supporting the invaluable services CCS provides to families with children receiving treatment for cancer in Brisbane, or you can make a tax-deductible donation at ccs.org.au.
If you like this newsletter and know someone who could benefit from the wisdom here, please feel free to pass it on and support me in ‘sharing the love’.